During the summer, it is usually easy to stay motivated in terms of fitness and getting to the health club near you. Let’s face it, in warm weather, many of us do not even need the gym. We prefer to exercise outdoors–walking, running, swimming, and/or a variety of outdoor sports–and enjoy the fresh air while getting a workout. However, as the colder weather approaches, you might find yourself losing interest in exercising or going to the gym. That is why it is important to stay motivated and keep on track with your fitness goals. That being said, here are some motivational tips for fitness.
- Focus on Small Steps or Changes–Do not set lofty or impossible fitness goals. Instead, try setting small, achievable goals each week. As you achieve each goal, it will hopefully motivate you to set even more fitness goals.
- Make Fitness Fun–Keeping fitness fun is a key to success. Therefore, select sports or activities that you enjoy, then vary the routine to keep you on your toes. If you are bored by your workouts, try something new. Take dance classes, try outdoor sports or athletic leagues, and/or check out your local health club or martial arts center. Remember to keep things lively because you are much more likely to stick with a fitness routine if you are having fun.
- Incorporate Exercise Into Your Daily Routine–In today’s busy world, sometimes it is hard to find time for exercise. However, do not give up or give in. Instead, try scheduling your workouts as you would any other important activity. Moreover, you can also slip in exercise throughout the day. For instance, you could take the stairs instead of the elevator, try walking/running/marching in place, park far away from the building and walk, etc. You could also ride a stationary bike, do isometric exercises, or use resistance bands while working or watching TV.
- Establish a Fitness Buddy System–Invite friends, family members, or co-workers to join you when you exercise. Work out with a buddy or other loved ones. Try to combine family bonding time with fitness via outdoor sports, a group walk, or organize a group of family/friends to take fitness classes at a local health club. Sometimes having a fitness buddy is motivation enough to stick with an exercise routine, and if you begin to slack off, they can help get you back on track.
- Reward Yourself–After each exercise session, take some time to savor the endorphins created via exercise. This habit can help motivate you and make regular exercise a part of your life. Tangible rewards can also be beneficial. For instance, when you achieve a long-term goal, treat yourself to a massage, new pair of walking shoes, or some new music to enjoy while you exercise.
Sometimes it can be a challenge to stay motivated and stick with an exercise program. At times, getting to the health club or gym might not be possible. However, many of us do not even need a gym or prefer to exercise outdoors. There are plenty of activities that provide a terrific workout such as walking, running, swimming, and a variety of outdoor sports, yet do not require a gym. Whether a health club is involved or not, it is important to stay motivated and keep on track with your fitness goals.
Here’s a great fitness motivation video you can watch everyday to help you get to your health club.